NORTH DAKOTA UNITED
Executive Director Vacancy Announcement
The Executive Director is the Chief Administrative Officer of North Dakota United (NDU). The Executive Director is responsible for ensuring that the full scope of policies, procedures and programs of NDU are implemented through effective management of all human, financial, physical, and technological resources. Primary functions including facilitating a strategic direction with the vision to assess the educational and economic climate in order to advise governance on changes necessary to better position NDU for success, budgeting, directing programs and staff, and providing advice and counsel to the President, Executive Committee, and officers.
NDU is a merged state affiliate of the National Education Association and the American Federation of Teachers and serves approximately 10,000 members who are K-12 teachers, public employees, education support professionals, higher education faculty, students and retired. It provides professional leadership, legal services, legislative and political involvement, a membership benefits program, and professional and personal development for NDU members throughout the state. NDU is governed by an elected 20-member Board and a statewide Delegate Assembly.
The NDU’s field staff includes six UniServ Directors who serve as organizers and advocates and work directly with members on the local level. Additional program, management and support staff include: Director of Teaching and Learning, Chief Financial Officer, Director of Communications, Field Communications Staff, Assistant Executive Director of Advocacy Programs, Manager of Administrative Services and six associate staff.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
- Recruits, selects, evaluates and compensates all staff consistent with the Executive Committee policy and ratified staff contracts.
- Provides leadership for the training and development of staff.
- Claims responsibility for thorough, accurate membership records and dues accounting.
- Promotes image of NEA/AFT/NDU through a variety of activities.
- Coordinates the financial and administrative functions of NDU, which includes oversight of the development of an annual budget, regular financial reports and an independent, annual audit of Association finances.
- Plans, develops and executes programs required to implement a strategic direction and to accomplish the mission of NDU.
- Lobbies on behalf of NDU with the legislative and executive branches of government and builds coalitions with external individuals and entities on matters of policy established by governance.
- Directs all property developments.
- Establishes and maintains an effective affiliate development and relations program.
- Serves as a spokesperson for NDU on matters of established policy as directed by the President.
- Consults with and advises the President, officers and governance bodies of NDU.
- Implements and administers Executive Committee and Delegate Assembly policies and actions.
- Performs such other duties as assigned by the President or Board of Directors
Knowledge and Skills Required:
Thorough knowledge, understanding, and demonstrated ability to implement the principles of effective leadership, management and direction of staff.
Thorough knowledge of educational and public employment issues and trends.
Demonstrated success in strategic planning, budgeting and financial management, negotiations and program development, and implementation.
Thorough knowledge and experience with collective bargaining, labor relations and union operations from the dual perspective of local affiliates and members, as well as internal NDU operations.
Highly proficient oral and written communication and technology skills.
Demonstrated ability to work effectively and sensitively with individuals and groups with diverse points of view and wide varieties of backgrounds and experiences.
The Executive Director is an employee of NDU, hired by the Board of Directors. The Executive Director reports to and is responsible to the Board of Directors through the President of NDU.
Position requires extensive travel, evening and weekend work.
- Must have a record of at least six years of leadership experience in positions of increasing responsibility in a labor organization including leadership at a senior management level for at least three years.
- Must have a record of improving the lives of working people through collective action.
- Inspiring Leadership: Proven record of leadership with particular success in uniting stakeholders to work together to build their organization and pursue its mission.
- Strategic Planning and Execution: Demonstrated, successful experience leading organization-wide efforts in planning, implementation, process improvements, accountability systems, innovation, financial management and building high performance work teams.
- Program design and implementation: Ability to lead successful, significant organizing efforts, campaigns and projects, attract, motivate, develop, coach and mentor highly talented staff, set ambitious goals, measure progress and achieve results.
- Interpersonal Effectiveness: Highly effective communication skills, ability to manage conflict productively, promote collaborative, creative problem solving and risk taking and create an inclusive, constructive organizational culture.
- Values Match: A champion of public education, committed to improving the lives of working people through collective action. Strong belief in the role of educators in directing their profession.
Master’s Degree and a record of life-long learning including recent professional development work.
North Dakota United provides a liberal fringe benefit package, travel costs and a salary commensurate with qualifications and experience.
To be considered for this position, please provide the following:
- A current resume reflecting qualifications for this position
- Letter of Application which specifically addresses how accomplishments in your career have prepared you to meet the challenges and opportunities presented in this position.
All materials must be sent electronically to the following:
Margolies and Potterton, NDU Search Consultants
For all questions regarding this search including confidential inquiries please contact:
Ken Margolies (East Coast)--(845) 499-6636
Jim Potterton (West Coast)--(831) 332-9324
North Dakota United is an equal opportunity employer.