NDU Seeks Director of Teaching and Learning
NORTH DAKOTA UNITED
Bismarck, North Dakota
The Director of Higher Education/Teaching and Learning is responsible for planning,
developing and instituting programs aimed at improving and advancing the skills and
knowledge of NDU's members. Other functions include serving on NEA / AFT committees,
coordinating NDU’s Higher Education, student and retired programs, serving as lead
contact for state and federal teaching / learning issues as well as lobbying on behalf of NDU
relative to these issues.
NDU is a state affiliate of the National Education Association and the American Federation
of Teachers and serves approximately 11,000 members who are K-12 teachers, public
employees, educational support professionals, higher education faculty, students and
retired members. It provides professional leadership, legal services, legislative and political
involvement, membership benefits programs, and professional development throughout the
state. NDU is governed by an elected twenty-member Board and a statewide Delegate
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Conduct individual counseling and group in-service workshops. Assess the latest research on teaching methods and communicate that research to members.
- Serve as the NDU liaison to North Dakota institutions of Higher Education as well as to the NDU Student Affiliate and the NDU Retired Affiliate.
- Develop effective communications with North Dakota's school administrators and school board members.
- Monitor state and national education committees and boards as assigned. Report issues and changes to the Executive Director and President.
- Monitor monthly Education Standard and Practices Board (ESPB) meetings.
- Serve as NDU participant on education committees, boards and teams.
- Work with the North Dakota Department of Public Instruction and the Education
- Standards and Practices Board in planning for and coordinating professional development.
- Serve as principal contact for ESEA, IDEA, Common Core, Accreditation, Teacher Evaluation and NBPTS.
- Attend and testify at administrative rules hearings.
- Develop, coordinate and facilitate training and workshops.
- Promote and facilitate AFT/NEA/NDU leadership training.
- Assist UniServ staff in organizing around teaching and learning issues.
Knowledge and Skills Required:
- Knowledge and understanding of the Common Core State Standards and the
Smarter Balanced Assessment.
- Knowledge and understanding of the state’s teacher evaluation guidelines.
- Knowledge and understanding of the state’s accreditation process.
- Knowledge and understanding of North Dakota teacher licensure process.
- Knowledge and understanding of adult learning.
- Proficient oral, written and technology skills.
- Ability to work effectively and sensitively with individuals and groups with diverse points of view and wide varieties of backgrounds and experiences.
- Knowledge and understanding of electronic learning.
The Director of Higher Education/Teaching & Learning reports to the Executive Director.
Position is located in the state capital of Bismarck and requires state and national travel
as well as evening and weekend work.
- Must have experience as an educator.
- Must have experience in training development for adult learners.
Master’s Degree and/or Doctorate preferred.
Salary commensurate with experience. Liberal fringe benefit package including
automobile, vacation, paid holidays, generous retirement package, health, dental, life,
long-term disability insurance, etc.
Interested individual must submit a written letter of application along with a current resumé
and three (3) references. Send by mail to:
North Dakota United
301 North 4th Street
Bismarck, ND 58501
Or send electronically to:
North Dakota United is an equal opportunity employer.