NDU Seeks Director of Teaching and Learning
NORTH DAKOTA UNITED
Director of Teaching and Learning
Bismarck, North Dakota
The Director of Teaching and Learning is responsible for planning, developing and instituting programs aimed at improving and advancing the skills and knowledge of NDU's members, both teachers and ESP. Other functions include serving on numerous states, NEA and AFT committees, coordinating the student and retired programs, grant writing, researching, serving as lead NDU contact for state and federal teaching and learning issues, and lobbying.
NDU is a state affiliate of the National Education Association and the American Federation of Teachers and serves approximately 10,000 members who are K-12 teachers, public employees, educational support professionals, higher education faculty, students and retired members. It provides professional leadership, legal services, legislative and political involvement, membership benefits program, and professional and personal development throughout the state. NDU is governed by an elected twenty-member Board and a statewide Delegate Assembly.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Conduct individual counseling and group in-service workshops.
- Communicate information relating to various effective teaching strategies.
- Assess the latest research on teaching methods and apply that research.
- Serve as the NDU liaison to North Dakota institutions of higher education.
- Develop close communications with North Dakota's school administrators and school board members.
- Observe state and national education committees and boards as assigned. Report issues and changes to Executive Director.
- Observe monthly Education Standard and Practices Board (ESPB) meetings.
- Serve as active NDU participant on education committees, boards and teams.
- Work with the North Dakota Department of Public Instruction and the Education Standards and Practices Board in planning for and coordinating professional development.
- Serve as principal contact for ESEA, IDEA, Common Core, Accreditation, Teacher Evaluation and NBPTS.
- Lobby on behalf of North Dakota United.
- Attend and testify at administrative rules hearings.
- Serve on state/national CAEP reviews.
- Develop, coordinate and facilitate in training/workshops such as negotiations, professional development, curriculum and IPD forums.
- Promote and facilitate AFT/NEA/NDU leadership training.
- Assist UniServ staff in organizing around teaching and learning issues.
Knowledge and Skills Required:
- Knowledge and understanding of the Common Core State Standards and the Smarter Balanced Assessment.
- Knowledge and understanding of the state’s new teacher evaluation guidelines.
- Knowledge and understanding of the state’s new accreditation process.
- Knowledge and understanding of North Dakota teacher licensure process.
- Knowledge and understanding of adult learners.
- Knowledge and understanding of the importance of the Union’s role in education.
- Proficient oral and written communication and technology skills.
- Ability to work effectively and sensitively with individuals and groups with diverse points of view and wide varieties of backgrounds and experiences.
- Knowledge and understanding of electronic learning.
The Director of Teaching and Learning reports to the Executive Director.
Position requires extensive state and national traveling, evening and weekend work.
- Must have a minimum of six years of experience as an educator.
- Must have experience in training development for adult learners.
- Must have a masters degree.
Salary consistent with the terms of the negotiated agreement between NDU and NDSO. Liberal fringe benefit package including automobile, vacation, paid holidays, etc.
Interested individual must submit a written letter of application along with a current resumé and three (3) references. Applications must be postmarked no later than August 22, 2014. Send by mail to:
North Dakota United is an equal opportunity employer.
Executive Director North Dakota United 301 North 4th Street Bismarck, ND 58501
Or send electronically to: