Local Leaders Academy is a focused training series to develop your knowledge of negotiations, member rights, advocacy, organizing for action, balance, boundaries, and more. There will be five sessions/courses each semester.
All courses will be held by Zoom and will be recorded for those who can't attend. Following each session the presentation materials and resources will be available for you to access. You will receive one credit for attending five sessions and completing reflection papers. For completing all 10 sessions and completing reflection papers, you will receive two credits.
We will also offer a book study to participants starting on Nov. 6, "Getting to Yes: Negotiating Agreement Without Giving In". You can receive one additional credit for completing the book study.
Local Leaders Academy Sessions
- September 5 - Membership, Recruitment, 1:1 Conversations & Professional Development
- October 3 - Member Rights, Advocacy, Grievance vs. Complaints
- November 7 - Leadership Positions & Responsibilities
- December 5 - Negotiations Deep Dive: Finance, Salary, Schedule Changing, School Board Elections, etc.
- January 9 - Leadership Reluctance: Building Leaders When No One Wants to Step Up
- February 6 - Member Benefits from ND United, NEA, AFT; plus Balance and Boundries
- March 5 - Organizing Within Your Local: Changing What Needs to be Changed
- April 2 - Communication & Social Media to Promote Your Local
- May 7 - AFL-CIO Union Story, plus Celebrate Wins Within Your Local